Do you belong to the team that doesn’t fall for the drinks loaded excessively with sweetness? If yes, Maple Old Fashioned Recipe is designed for you. A hint of maple syrup’s sweetness infuses the tons of smoothness in the texture of an old-fashioned cocktail.
Merged with the classic rye whiskey or bourbon and sharp-flavored bitters, Maple Syrup gradually dissolves its magic, nuance and sophistication in each sip.
Moments when Maple Old Fashioned spice up the pleasure –
Whether it’s a small get-together with colleagues, the occasion of enjoying a festive feel, a holiday mood, a cozy night around the bonfire or a friends’ night party, Maple Old Fashioned is idyllic to warm the souls.
Why swap simple syrup with Maple Syrup?
A few features of Maple Syrup differentiate it from the sweetness of sugar cubes and simple sugar syrup.
- It uplifts the caramel, spicy and vanilla flavors of Bourbon.
- It is an organic sweeter that keeps you away from the refined sugar.
- It makes a smooth pair with whiskey and bitters.
- Maple syrup contains 54 beneficial elements that dial down the inflammatory issues.
Such benefits of Maple syrup ensure that it is not just a flavor but a character that builds long-lasting cocktail stories.
What are the ingredients to mix a classic Maple Old Fashioned Recipe?
An old-fashioned rock glass full of flavors comprises the below-listed ingredients.
2 ounces (oz) of your favorite bourbon or rye whiskey –
It varies from person to person whether they like a sharp & strong flavor of whiskey or a sweet & smooth one of a good quality bourbon. To make your Maple Old Fashioned cocktail enough boozy, drop 2 ounces of Buffalo Trace or Bulleit bourbon.
3-4 dashes of Angostura aromatic bitters –
The sole purpose of Angostura bitters is to add depth and complexity to the old-fashioned cocktail. Apart from that, it balances the cocktail so well with other ingredients. The strong aroma of clove and cinnamon in bitters helps the cocktail build an impactful profile. You can go with Angostura Orange Bitters as well.
Half (1/2) tablespoon Maple Syrup –
Due to being a significant ingredient of Old Fashioned Cocktail, you must not compromise with the quality and quantity of the Maple Syrup. It enhances the aroma & flavors of Bourbon flawlessly.
A slice of orange peel –
An old-fashioned cocktail is not only about the flavors intertwined in it but the display of the drink also leaves an indelible imprint on the guests. For this, you will require a finely sliced orange peel to buoy up the look of the rock glass.
One or Two Luxardo Maraschino Cherry –
Just one Luxardo cherry can enable your old-fashioned cocktail to stand one notch higher both in flavor and presentation. Though it falls on a bit expensive side, the experience of sipping traditional old fashioned deserves it.
1 large crystal clear ice cube –
A cocktail without ice? Sounds like bizarre! To flaunt your mixing artistry, pick the round, rectangle and square-shaped cubes of clean ice cubes.
Which tools are essential to mix the old-fashioned cocktail like a professional bartender?
Even a small home bar requires the below-listed mixing equipment to create a perfect fusion of signature flavors. A glance at what one must carry.
- A shaker
- A cocktail spoon
- A rock glass (old-fashioned)
- A vegetable peeler (Y-shaped)
- A Cocktail pin
- An ice-picking tong
What’s the way to mix Maple Syrup Old Fashioned Cocktail like a paid player?
When it comes to creating magic through a cocktail, one must be well-versed in the stepwise manner of mixing a drink.
- Take the shaker and fill it with the required amount of your favorite bourbon or whiskey, Angostura bitters and maple syrup. Shake it well for a good 30 seconds. You can directly pour them into the lowball glass and stir the fusion of bourbon, bitter and syrup with the help of a long-handled cocktail spoon.
- Now pick a large and clear ice cube and place it into the rock glass.
- With the help of a vegetable peeler slice two or three thick peels of orange.
- Twist one peel over the top of the drink gently so that slightly citrus and oily sprays of orange peel can get dissolved in the cocktail.
- Smoothly run the peels on the rim of the old-fashioned cocktail so that citrus zest can be experienced by the person in each sip.
- Leave the peel inside the cocktail glass or tuck it in the cocktail pin.
- Take the Luxardo Maraschino cherry and dip it inside the glass or tuck it along with the orange peel in the same cocktail pin.
- Rest the old-fashioned cocktail glass for a few minutes to get the added ingredients settled and balanced well.
It’s all set to serve your guests and say cheers!
Some handy hacks for a classic Maple Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Maple Old Fashioned is a light-sweetening cocktail recipe hence should rinse off the cherries before adding them to the drink. Luxardo Maraschino cherries are dipped in thick sugar syrup.
- Instead of small and unclear ice cubes, you should use large and clean cubes of ice. It keeps the drink chilled for a long time and levels up the look of old old-fashioned cocktail.
- Preparing the Maple Old Fashioned requires ample time. Therefore, do not leave it for the last minute after the arrival of your guests. You can mix it before and store it in the fridge.
- Do not squeeze or twist the orange peel so hard that it can add a bitter oily flavor to the drink.
- Stir the cocktail only for the required time (30 seconds). Too much or too little stirring harms the texture and flavor of the drink.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) –
Q – Which Bourbon is ideal for the Maple Old Fashioned recipe?
A – Buffalo Trace and Bulleit Bourbon go well with the smoothing texture of Maple Syrup. You can mix the rye whiskey of your personal choice as well.
Q – Which Bitter one should use for the Maple Old Fashioned recipe?
A – Angostura aromatic bitters or Angostura orange bitters are good for the old-fashioned Maple Syrup recipe.
Q – What if there is no large ice cube for the old-fashioned drink?
A – You can use 3-4 regular ice cubes in place of one large ice cube.
Q – What is the right time to add ice cubes to the drink?
A – At the end of mixing all the ingredients of an old-fashioned cocktail you can put ice cubes in the glass. It will help you in perfectly stirring the drink.
Q – What is the right occasion to serve Maple Old Fashioned recipe?
A – This versatile drink is perfect for the welcome at festivals, Thanksgiving, Christmas parties and for the after-meal drink moment.
Q – Is it good to prepare the drink ahead of the serving moment?
A – Yes, you can mix the bourbon/rye whiskey, bitters and maple syrup then store it in a pitcher. At the time of serving, add ice and garnishing elements. Keep the stored mixture in the fridge.
Q – How much maple syrup is sufficient for a glass of old-fashioned cocktail?
A – Just 1/2 teaspoon is enough for one glass.